<< Conflict in Iraq: Rallying for peace

"We need to do something before they do something to us … My greatest concern is that they might do something to us that we can’t be prepared for so it’ll cause mass devastation."
—Jacob Kushner, 18, El Camino Real HS (Woodland Hills)

"We are going to war to stop Saddam Hussein because he is supposedly evil. Bush and the press always present him as evil. Maybe the media twists it but we can never be too sure. Still Bush is in charge and we put him in a place of authority. We should listen to him but personally, I don’t want to go to war. It’s scary because they might have nuclear weapons."
—Susan Kim, 17, La Cañada HS

"The prospect of our country going to war hasn’t hit me yet. It still seems unreal to me because my friends and I never really talk about it. I’m scared, but it still seems so far away."
—Renee Yun, 17, La Cañada HS

"If we just keep going to war over everything, there’s going to be nothing left."
—Travis Cook, 14

"My brother is going or already is at the war … We do, in my opinion, have reason to fight but I don’t like the idea of losing a loved one."
—Edwin Villalta, 16, El Camino Real HS

"Actually, if I was drafted, I would probably fight. There is that chance that I could die. Something could happen to me. You know. But … it’s to help others, and to help this country. I think it would be a good thing to do. To save others’ lives, I think that’s the purpose of this war. It’s not just to kill for oil."
—Brett Warren, 18

Quotes gathered by Sage Chung, 17, El Camino Real HS; Johanna Bautista, 14, El Camino Real HS; Andrea Domanick, 15, Harvard-Westlake; Brynn Holland, 18, Cleveland HS; Sarah Peterson, 16, Flintridge Preparatory