<< In search of the ultimate skate parks

By Jabez Williams, 15, Sunland Christian School

Coping box:
Transitions are performed on the coping, a PVC or steel pipe that runs along the front of the top of the ramp.

Grinding box: A grinding box, or fun box, is a multi-obstacle box incorporating rails, planters, transitions and flat banks. A typical set-up could include a platform about three feet high, with a grinding box on top featuring double coping.

Launch ramp: A ramp designed to generate high airs. The skater hits the steep transition at high speed, takes off, and rolls out smoothly and safely on the flat bank on the other side.

Mini-ramp: A small half pipe with a curved drop, which is about three to six feet high and has no element of vert.

Quarter pipe: A small curved ramp which looks like a quarter of a round pipe and may have an element of vert (when the top of the curve ends with a short vertical section).

Spine ramp: A ramp in which two half pipes are placed back-to back to allow transfers.

Topside soul: The sole of the skate on top of whatever you’re grinding.

Vert bowl: Similar to a vert ramp, but it is rounded like the shape of a bowl.

Vert ramp or half pipe: Monster twin ramp which looks like half of a round pipe when seen from the side.