- LA Youth - https://www.layouth.com -

My own sense of style

PREVIOUSNEXT
Elizabeth Bartolini (in red), 14, Ramona Convent

1. Describe your style.
I think it's a mix of what people wore back in the 50s and 60s. I think it's sophisticated yet funky.

2. What influences you?
I think the 50s, 60s and 80s influence my style the most because I absolutely LOVE what they wore. It looks sophisticated yet—can't think of the word—totally funky and completely awesome! Those years had the best fashions ever!

3. What is your favorite place to shop?
The thrift store and my mom's old closet 🙂

4. What do people say about the way you dress?
Some people think it's cool, some people think, "Oh my gosh, what was she thinking," others think it's the best thing in the world, but whatever they think, it doesn't bother me at all because I like it 🙂

Mary Bartolini (in white), 14, Ramona Convent

1. Describe your style.
1.) I don't know how to describe my style. It's like a very colorful mix of the 20s, 30s, 40s 50s, 60s and 80s. It depends on how I'm feeling that day.

2. What influences you?
Daydreaming. It doesn't really make sense but it's true. When I'm not paying attention or just staring up at the ceiling, random things just pop into my head and I think "Oh yeah, that would look so awesome." But also the fashion magazines with all types of cool things; there's so many I can't fit them all into my head!

3. What is your favorite place to shop?
My favorite place to shop: Thrift stores. Oooh man I love those places. They have the coolest things in the world! They have these authentic dresses from the 80s and blazers for, I don't know, 4 bucks. Most of this stuff was made years before we were born, when the materials weren't rip-offs. Plus, they have things you can never find in stores at the mall and it's cheaper!

It's so funny. Whenever we go out to the mall or something these people just look us up and down with these weird constipated faces! Hahaha. It's hilarious but other people look at us and it looks like they're about to smile, and sometimes they do and it's a huge grin. So it really just depends on the person.

Photo and interviews by Katherine Lam, 15, Ramona Convent.