A straight girl supports gay rights

The article “Standing up for gay rights” was amazing. I think that everyone should stand up for gay or bisexual people because they’re just like everyone else. I know people who are gay or bisexual and people always make fun of them. Honestly, I was one of those people. I used to change quickly in the changing room just because somebody bisexual or lesbian was around me. But now I really feel bad for thinking that and I want to try and make sure everyone is treated the same. Therefore, if any of my friends start to make fun of somebody because they’re gay or lesbian, I will explain to them how rude they sound and that they need to stop talking about other people that way. This article changed my mind about gays, bisexuals and lesbians.
Jordan Willner, Wilson MS (Glendale)

At my old school people would say, “Wow, that’s so gay.” My teacher would reply, “I wonder what homosexual people say about us. ‘That’s so straight?’” The class would laugh, but then realize that it’s offensive. People used to have a problem with race, but we came to the conclusion that everyone should be treated equally. So why should it matter what sexual orientation you are?
Nino Kukhaleishvili, East Valley HS (North Hollywood)

When Kristy mentioned that she noticed students at her school saying “no homo” or “faggot,” I connected because I have overheard people saying things like that. The only thing I disagreed with was when Kristy wrote, “I don’t explain to them why it’s offensive because I don’t think they would listen to me.” I think that if you take the time to explain, you can make anyone listen to you.
Angela Gonzalez, Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts

We all have to learn to stand up for what is right instead of choosing what is easier. If a gay person was being bullied at school, would you defend him or her and have all your friends laugh at you? Or would you join the crowd in mockery?
William Cabison, Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts

I’m so appreciative of Kristy Plaza and her article because she demonstrates that it is possible for straight people to accept gay people. Many homosexuals, students especially, are suffering because of homophobia. We need more people like Kristy to show the world that inside every gay person is a heart and a soul. I am no different from you; I laugh when I find something funny, I cry when I am hurt and I procrastinate when I am assigned homework. It is our generation’s duty to start ridding the world of such damaging mindsets. We need to move away from same-sex tolerance and start advancing to same-sex acceptance! The fates of thousands of homosexuals are depending on us—on you. We need your help.
Andio Manguray, Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts

While reading “Standing up for gay rights” I came to realize that a Gay-Straight Alliance is helpful to gay and straight people. One sentence stood out to me. It said “Gay or straight, everyone can be hurt by words and we all deserve kindness and respect. I eventually realized that if I didn’t stand up for gay rights, then I’d be just as bad as those who make fun of people who are gay.” It made me think that joining a club for gay people is a good idea even if I’m straight. I hear people say “no homo” all the time. It is very offensive to gay people so it shouldn’t be used. If more people joined Gay-Straight Alliances, phrases like that wouldn’t be used. I am inspired to join a club like this once I start high school.
Christine Matossian, Wilson MS

l
Learning about current events is important

The article “Learning beyond books” shows that more students would be interested in history class if it related to current events. To many people, current events are more important than ancient history. It is important [to teach current events] because people need to know how current events relate to the past. A good example is how the current economic problems relate to the Great Depression. I think that teachers should be allowed more freedom to teach current events.
Ian Flores, East Valley HS

l
LAUSD’s new menu needs improvement

I agree with the article “Lunch time has a whole new taste” because everything it says is 100 percent true! As teens, we understand that we have to eat healthier and make the right food choices but that doesn’t mean that LAUSD had to totally change our school menu from food that we like to eat to food that looks unappetizing. One thing that LAUSD could do to fix this is bring back the one thing that we all know and love: chocolate milk. I’m pretty sure that if they brought back chocolate milk, then the students might be at least a bit more satisfied.
Diego Gonzalez, East Valley HS

l
A boy appreciates his adopted mother

I really enjoyed the article “I’m glad she adopted me.” I also did not care about school during middle school. I wouldn’t do my homework. I would pass my classes with Ds and Cs. When I started high school I kept my bad habits of not doing my homework until I realized that I wanted to do something with my life. I want to go to college and major in something I really like. There is always a reason why our parents tell us things. We should start paying more attention.
Ashley Cuevas , International Studies Learning Center (South Gate)

l
Dressing up as an animé character

I love the idea of dressing up as the character you adore so much that I’m considering attending the next Anime Expo. I also liked how much Amy wanted to go and how she put effort into her costume. Amy looks great for her first homemade costume. It must have been fun to dress up as a cartoon character for the whole day surrounded by people.
Marlon Sevilla, East Valley HS

l
An appreciation for the oboe

The article “Finally music to my ears” was very interesting. I felt the way the writer did except toward the piano. I didn’t want to play the piano, but my parents told me that I would love it. When I tried it out, I thought that there was no way I was playing this instrument and I knew how Sydney felt. But I started liking the piano and I still do. I would say that I am pretty good at the piano and I enjoy playing it. My parents and Sydney’s parents knew what was good for us and they will always be right.
Nazeli Gharpetian, Wilson MS

The article “Finally music to my ears” made me think of myself when I started playing the flute. I didn’t know anything about playing (except the occasional note I was able to pop out). But then I started practicing more. For the first week, I could only produce three notes. But then, I decided to take the flute home and I kept playing and playing, until my parents were sick of it. I did something else, too. I listened to master flautists and I tried to duplicate their tone. I learned more and more notes. It was starting to come more naturally and by my fifth week, I was playing flute pieces my band teacher said she couldn’t play until she was in college! So I played duets with my afterschool youth services coach, who played the cello. She was so supportive and was always in the mood to play Bach with me.
Leon Svajian, East Valley HS