<< The job hunt from hell

By Veronica Barriga, 16, Glendale HS

Veronica’s Advice

• Be neat. The manager should be able to read everything. Use black or dark blue ink only. Ask for two applications in case you mess up, because you don’t want Wite-Out or cross-outs on your application.

• Don’t leave anything blank. Use dashes or "N.A." which means "Not Applicable" if the information doesn’t apply to you.
• When you pick up applications, bring all the information with you. Fill it out there and turn it in. It saves time.
• Unless you have a lot of experience, write "Open" for salary requirements. For your first job, you have to take what you can get.
• Make sure your references like you and are willing to say good things about you. Tell your reference that you’d like to use him or her as a reference. If you have no past employers, ask a teacher or family friend. My friend used my mom as her reference.
• Don’t leave the Employment History section blank—try to come up with something. Sometimes you can include volunteering, internships, helping at school or church.They’re not expecting a big long resume for an entry-level position. If you don’t know who to write as your "supervisor," you can write "Unavailable" or "no longer at this site."
• Think about other commitments when you tell the manager what hours you can work. Don’t say you’re available when you’re not. That will backfire.
• Don’t lie. They’ll find out.
• Include special abilities that relate to the job, such as being good with computers or speaking two languages.
• Don’t forget to sign and date it.