<< Tuned in to this election

By Elis Lee, 16, Crescenta Valley HS
Elis believes in the Korean saying: if one loses money they lose very little, but if one loses health they lose everything.

One afternoon when my mother was about to get on the freeway on her way to pick me and my brother up from school, a car ran a red light and hit her car. My mom’s car spun and crashed into a pole. The airbag went off. Before she knew it, she was in the Huntington Memorial Hospital emergency room. Her wrist was broken. My mother had a $50,000 surgery to get her wrist back in place. That’s a huge amount of money for any family, but with her health insurance coverage, she paid only $1,000.

I’m glad my parents can afford health insurance for my family. But not everyone has it. Nearly 47 million American citizens do not have healthcare. That’s about one in every five people.

When I try talk to my friends about healthcare being a big influence on this election, my friends ignore the subject because they either simply don’t know or care. Most think that because their parents have healthcare, it does not affect them.

I think everyone should have health insurance. People can’t control if they’ll get sick or get in an accident. Whoever becomes the next president should establish a healthcare plan in which everyone is covered. There are a lot of people who don’t have the quality healthcare that they deserve. Health insurance is something that affects every U.S. citizen regardless of gender, age or race. It even affects me. I have ADHD and when my family pays for my medication, as opposed to the $100 that it normally costs, my family only pays $20 with our insurance coverage.

I think people get covered only because they have money to buy health insurance or their employers buy it. I don’t think that’s fair. Everyone has the right to be healthy.