<< My mom is all I need

Who is important to you?

“My father came here from a rich family in Africa, but when he came, he didn’t take any money and started fresh. He showed that he could do anything by himself without help from others and he’s successful. It shows me that I can do anything as long as I try.”
Melaku Shierfaw, 13, Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies (S.O.C.E.S.)

“My uncle is the only person who when I’m with him I’m grateful for the small things—to be alive, to have friends in my life, being healthy and having a good family. He’s very grateful for small things and gives back to his community. I feel like that mentality is lacking in my generation. I’m grateful he’s in my life to show me there are things bigger than me.”
Jean Park, 16, Harvard-Westlake School (North Hollywood)
“Me and my mom are really close. If I do something wrong I don’t feel right if I don’t tell her. So I always end up telling on myself. I can tell her anything.”
Justen Cade, 16, Westchester HS
My brother is seven years older than me but we’re still best friends. There are not a lot of people who are really trustworthy and you want to spend your time with but he’s one of the most genuine people I’ve met.
Serli Polatoglu, 16, AGBU-MDS
My grandma is important to me. I love her cooking. It influences me to learn how to cook from her. I love Armenian cooking. It’s been passed on by generations. Her cooking is delicious.
Lusine Petrosyan, 14, S.O.C.E.S.
My great grandmother is the matriarch of our whole family. She was born in 1920 so I know she went through a lot in her life. She was a very strong woman and she raised my mom and took her in. She had a kind spirit and loved me and my brother. She’ll always be there for me although she’s not alive.
Kalin Scott-Wright, 16, Westchester HS
My Jewish Big Sister. Her name is Lauren. We’ve been together for two years. My mom is a single mom and my sister is autistic. She’s someone who helps me deal with all this stuff because she’s someone I can talk to. She’s like a second mom to me and also a best friend. If I’m having problems I can call her and she’ll come pick me up and we’ll go to the park and talk and veg out on junk food.
Stacey Avnes, 15, S.O.C.E.S.
My mom is like my best friend. She’s involved. If I’m having a bad day and I don’t want to talk about it, she won’t take a no. I’ll wait and then I’ll tell her. She’s a nice person to talk to. She gets me involved in programs. She’s just there, always. I can talk to my mom about anything.
Taylor Moore, 16, Westchester HS
“Both my parents are really important to me. My parents are really more than friends. They’re people I can open up and talk to and they don’t belittle me. It’s like talking to one of my friends. They’ve been there for me and given me good advice on a lot of my problems.
Sophia Richardson, 15, S.O.C.E.S.