<< Health food—eww!

By Quingan Zhou, 15, Monroe HS

When it comes to promoting healthy eating, I feel that Monroe High School has not accomplished what it intended. The food in the cafeteria is just as unhealthy as the junk food snacks we used to have: for example, the pizza.

Most of the students love the pizza because it tastes great. The administrators like it, too, but they love it for its good contributions to the food pyramid, a guideline of what foods to eat created by the federal government. The food pyramid consists of the grain group; the vegetable group; the fruit group; the meat, fish, beans, eggs and nuts group; the milk, yogurt and cheese group; and the fat, oils and sweets group.

Principal Greg Vallone said that the pizza has cheese and bread. It provides calcium, and students can eat side dishes the school provides, such as milk and fruits.

“That is a well-balanced meal,” he said.

The students have a different perspective. Evdokia Koletti, 19, said the pizzas are swimming in oil. Dahila Elkinawy, 16, said that she has to use a napkin to suck the oil off the pizzas.

Well, no one is denying that cheese contains calcium, or that the pizza has two food groups. But we cannot ignore the oil on the pizza either.