<< Teens view the Inglewood arrest in different ways

What if the police stop me on the street?

You have the right to ask if you are free to go. If the police say you are not under arrest, but are not free to go, then you are being "detained." Being detained does not necessarily mean that you will be arrested. The police can pat down the outside of your clothing if they have reason to suspect you might be armed and dangerous. If they search any more than this, say clearly, "I do not consent to a search." They may keep searching anyway.

What if the police stop me in my car?

Upon request, show them your license, registration and proof of insurance. You do not have to consent to a search. But in some cases your car can be searched without your consent if the police have probable cause.

What if the police ask questions?

You do not need to answer any questions if you are detained or even if you are arrested. You have the right to remain silent, but refusing to answer might make the police suspicious about you.

I’ve been arrested. Do I have to answer questions now?

No. If you are arrested, you do not have to give a statement or answer any questions. If you are arrested and do not want to answer any questions, you should ask for a lawyer right away. You have a right not to answer any questions until you have talked to your lawyer.

What if I am treated badly by the police?

Remember the officer’s badge number, name and other identifying information. You have a right to ask the officer for this information. Write down everything as soon as you can. Try to find witnesses and their names and phone numbers. If you are injured, take pictures of the injuries as soon as you can. Call a lawyer.