<< I swear not to swear

What do you think of cussing?

“I don’t mind cussing. It doesn’t make me think any less of anybody.”
Jordan Calvin, 18, Fairfax HS
“Everybody uses it. It’s not a big deal. I don’t realize when I do it. But I don’t think you should cuss when you’re 5. Once you’re a teen, it’s OK to.”
Echo Theohar, 16, Santa Monica HS
“To a certain extent it’s all right but if you keep doing it, it gets annoying. It also depends on what words you use.”
Andy Hoelting, 17, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks)
“I think that it’s really overused. You see people cussing so much in every other sentence or word. I think people show themselves as a better person when they don’t cuss.”
Shannon Martinear, 17, Santa Monica College
“I think it shouldn’t be yelled out like after every other word. It doesn’t have to be said.”
Randy Gonzalez, 18, Cal State Los Angeles
“I haven’t cussed ever. I don’t like it. It’s unnecessary. When someone is mad then I guess they can say it, but it’s really unnecessary.”
Richard Yoo, 15, Cleveland HS (Reseda)
“It’s unnecessary. People do it to express anger and hatred. It’s not OK for anybody to cuss, but it really depends on how much they cuss. I never cuss though.”
Marcus Sanders, 17, Palisades Charter High
“I tend to do it myself sometimes. I don’t think it’s necessary to cuss to get your point. We can say what we want without it. I don’t promote it, but I know it’s something that happens.”
Talia Avakian, 17, Providence HS (Burbank)
“Cussing is ridiculous. It needs to be in the moment, like if something very funny happens, I say ‘That is f***ing hilarious.’ But I usually cuss when I’m pissed off. I think it’s OK for others to cuss too.”
Keegan Mcfadden, 17, Palisades Charter High
“I don’t think its appropriate but I think there are places you can use it.”
Lindsey Neiman, 17, Marlborough School
“I think it’s not really a big deal unless someone like a 5-year-old says it and it depends on the context.”
Cathleen McCaffery, 18, Marlborough School
“It’s fine if it’s not used offensively.”
Kandys Kim, 19, Whitney High (Cerritos)
“It’s to relieve stress. It’s fine for them to cuss, but sometimes it depends on the situation.”
Jessica Lee, 15, Bravo Medical Magnet HS
“It doesn’t bother me. We’ve grown up with it.”
Lauren Jones, 19, Malibu HS
“It is like everywhere. We all use it.”
Lina Bardovi, 19, Malibu HS