<< Sweet treats: Snickerdoodles

By Connie Chung, 17, Gabrielino HS

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour (or if you prefer whole-wheat flour)
1 cup margarine (I substituted 3/4 cup apple sauce)
1 ripe, mashed banana (if the banana peel isn’t spotted black, cover the mashed banana with the juice of a lemon for about 15 minutes before incorporating it into the mix)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon soy milk (can be substituted with water)
2 1/2 cups oats
2 1/2 cups dark/semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cooking tools:
Large bowl
Mixing spoon or spatula
Baking pan
Non-stick foil
Ice cream scooper

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375º. Mix the sugars, flour and baking powder. One at a time add in the margarine, mashed banana, vanilla extract and soy milk. Mix with spatula in a figure-eight motion. While mixing, slowly add in the oats and then the chocolate chips.

2. The final batter should be a cookie dough-like texture. If it is too wet, add extra flour. Or if you prefer it to be extra sweet, add more chocolate chips!

3. Use an ice cream scooper to scoop the dough into round balls and then place on foil-lined pan. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes. When done, let cool for 10 minutes on a plate or wire rack. Voila!

Tip: This batch makes a lot of cookies so feel free to freeze excess batter in plastic wrap. Then pull out of the freezer, defrost for 10 minutes and bake some more!
Source: www.vegweb.com

Connie said:
"I’ve never baked cookies from scratch before and surprisingly, it’s simple and a whole lot of fun! After scrounging around different online recipe sites, I came across this one and immediately sensed a calling. The name says it all. The great thing was that most of the ingredients came from my kitchen and can be found in any local grocery store. And because I’m a daring experimenter, I even substituted some of the ingredients to fit my own liking. So can you."

Tasters said:
"Wow–really sweet and chewy, with a lot of different flavors." —Ariel Edwards-Levy

"Very chewy, fun to eat." —Angeline Wang

"The chocolate is sweet and really complements the oatmeal and banana taste. Really good." —Monica Maeng

"Vegan, morally good, banana a little out of place." —Caroline Golum

"Amazing!" —Joelle Leung

"My favorite. They had a perfect taste of blended chocolate with banana." —Karen Garcia

"I like the texture a lot. The granola reminds me of a chewy bar, and the chocolate is an added bonus. I can’t believe they’re vegan and low-fat." —Guianna Henriquez