<< Sweet treats: Snickerdoodles

By Marc Mouallem, 15, Crespi Carmelite HS

Ingredients:
1 pound fresh raspberries (can also use strawberries or pitted cherries or a combination)
7/8 cup superfine sugar, plus 1-2 tablespoons and some for sprinkling
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs, at room temperature
grated zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon orange juice

Directions:
1. Reserve a few whole fruits for decorating. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the fruit until smooth.

2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice to the fruit purée, then process again to blend. Strain the sauce and chill.

3. Butter the base and sides of an 8×4 inch loaf pan or an 8 inch springform pan and line the base with nonstick baking paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan again, then sprinkle lightly with sugar and tap out any excess from the pan. Preheat oven to 350°.

4. Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 4-5 minutes until very light and fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the orange zest and juice.

5. Gently fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture in three batches, then spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and tap gently to release any air bubbles.

6. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden and springs back when touched. Transfer the cake in its pan to a wire rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan, then cool for about 30 minutes. Remove the paper and serve slices or wedges of the warm cake with a little of the fruit sauce and decorate with the leftover fruit.

Marc said:
"It was easy. I followed the book. If I had a question I just asked my mom."

From French, delicious classic cuisine made easy, by Carole Clements & Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen.

Tasters said:
"The fruit adds such a nice tangy taste." —Connie Chung

"Wow! A guy made this! They’re salty. I liked the fruit." —Joelle Leung [editor’s note: More than a year later we found out Marc’s mom helped … a LOT!]

"It’s smooth and the citrus flavor makes it refreshing." —Stephanie Cruz