<< Affirmative action

I strongly believe that race should be considered sometimes because minorities are under-represented. I’m not prejudiced or anything, but white people tend to have more advantages over minorities because of their background, family or income. I feel that sometimes things like affirmative action are maybe the last resort for some minorities. While other applicants (white) may be more qualified, a lot of minorities that don’t have the best test scores or money for college still deserve to get accepted because they didn’t have the same advantages as other applicants. Just because some minorities don’t have the best test scores or the best resume and they grew up around destitution, doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to go to college.
—Amandala McWright, 16, Santa Monica HS

I’m really not sure where I stand with the issue. In a way, it wouldn’t be right to change the way that it is currently, because we need diversity everywhere. But then there is the fact that a person was chosen because he/she is some particular race. I mean, what if there was a person who would be perfect for a school, who had outstanding grades, great test scores, but because he/she was white didn’t get in? That would be unfair.
—Ashley Zartner, 14, Bell HS

I think that the Supreme Court should drop the case. If they want to ignore the race factor and use a "race-blind" policy, then that would change everything. We might as well become a segregated country again. Sure, it’s nice to be known for "who you are" and "what you can do" but if you think they are going to let the same amount of minorities in as white people, you can forget it. The reason for that is some way, somehow, they’ll find out if you are a minority and you’ll get labeled by race anyway. And that’s probably going to happen before you are accepted at a college. I hope the white lady who’s suing the University of Michigan realizes that if she was what they were looking for, she would have been accepted in the first place. Held back because you were qualified and white—come on!
—Gary Gray, 16, Sunland Christian School

Affirmative action is necessary. People who have gone through harsh conditions, such as living in dangerous communities or attending schools that were lacking materials and qualified instructors, deserve extra consideration. They deserve it because they have worked harder than the average student. People don’t seem to understand that many minorities are not in a position to pay for SAT prep courses or extra tutoring. Those "extras" give wealthier people an advantage. And if you want to level the playing field by giving everyone the same type of education and the same "extra" programs, you need affirmative action. Without extra help, these students will not have a chance at success. They would be ignored and ultimately thrown into a cycle of poverty. If minorities aren’t accepted they probably would not go to any school.
—Nicole Bryant, 17, King Drew Medical Magnet

I don’t feel that race should matter when you are being accepted to a certain college. I believe they shouldn’t look at the race box when filling out an application; all that should matter are grades and academic records.
—Paulina Ayvar, 16, Westchester HS

Maybe affirmative action isn’t the best way to go, but diversity in schools is very important. Labeling people by race doesn’t seem fair, but having different races in colleges and workplaces can lead to better environments for discussion and cooperation. On the other hand, allowing some students to get accepted into colleges based more on race rather than grades and accomplishments doesn’t seem just. Someone who is more deserving or qualified for the position would get denied while someone else who is a minority could get accepted based on race. I think affirmative action as it is being practiced now is unfair, but I also believe its intentions are good. A different program should be created to diversify schools while still accepting qualified students.
—Monica Maeng, 16, Van Nuys HS