<< Sweet treats: Snickerdoodles

By Caroline Golum, 16, Fairfax HS (Los Angeles)

Ingredients:
6 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2/3 cups shortening
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 eight-ounce container sour cream
2 eggs

Directions:
1. To prepare dough: Into large bowl, measure 3 1/2 cups flour and remaining ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With hand, knead in remaining 2 1/2 cups flour to make a soft dough. (To knead, push down and forward on the dough with the palms and heels of our hands. Fold the dough over onto itself and knead again. Continue adding flour, kneading, folding over the dough and kneading again until done.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is not sticky and is of easy kneading consistency.

2. To roll dough: Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Working with half of a batch at a time on a lightly floured work surface with lightly floured hands, knead dough until smooth. Then on a greased and floured 17×14 cookie sheet, with lightly floured rolling pin roll dough to 3/16" or 1/8" thickness. You can use dowels of the same size at either side of the dough on the cookie sheet to help create a uniform thickness. (For easy rolling, place cookie sheet on a damp cloth to prevent it from slipping.)

3. To cut and bake dough: Make your pattern pieces of heavy cardboard. Lay them on the dough and using a sharp knife use as many pieces as you can from the rolled dough on your cookie sheet, leaving at least 1/2" inch between the pieces. Remove scraps and reserve for re rolling. Preheat oven to 350º. (Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator if there is room while the oven preheats. Bake until golden brown and very firm when lightly touched with your finger. Remove cookie sheet from oven and cool on wire rack 5 minutes. Carefully remove the baked pieces from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to cool completely.

Caroline said:
"It was my first time making cookies. I used too much flour, the dough was really good."

From www.gingerbreadlane.com

Tasters said:

"Light and fluffy with just the right texture, cute shape." —Connie Chung

"Really good and funny." —Dasha Tanner

"Good, but couldn’t taste the ginger." —Rachel Lizotte

"Pretty, good effort, little too much flour." —Joelle Leung